Wemix denies cover-up amid delayed $6.2M bridge hack announcement
Wemix Foundation CEO Kim Seok-hwan said they had no intention of concealing a hack on its bridge, which led to over $6 million in losses.In a press conference, Kim reportedly said there was no attempt to cover up the inc...
Archive context
Older archive item. Useful for background and entity history, but not a fresh market-moving signal.
Wemix Foundation CEO Kim Seok-hwan said they had no intention of concealing a hack on its bridge, which led to over $6 million in losses.
In a press conference, Kim reportedly said there was no attempt to cover up the incident, even though the audience pointed out the announcement was delayed.
On Feb. 28, over 8.6 million WEMIX tokens were withdrawn due to an attack on the platform’s Play Bridge Vault, which transfers WEMIX to other blockchain networks. The company only made an official announcement four days after the attack.
According to Kim, the announcement was delayed due to the possibility of further attacks and to avoid causing panic in the market because of the stolen assets.
Related: Bank of Korea to take ‘cautious approach’ to Bitcoin reserve
Wemix CEO outlines risks of premature announcementWemix said the hacker broke into their system by stealing the authentication key for the company’s service monitoring system of Nile, its non-fungible token (NFT) platform.
After the theft, the hacker spent two months preparing before randomly creating abnormal transactions. The hackers attempted to withdraw 15 times but only succeeded with 13 withdrawals, taking away 8.6 million WEMIX tokens and selling them in exchanges outside South Korea.
Kim explained that upon becoming aware of the hack, they immediately shut down their servers and began their analysis.
The executive added that they filed a complaint against the unidentified hacker with the Cyber Investigation Team of the Seoul National Police Agency. The Wemix CEO said the authorities had already started investigating the matter.
Kim said that there was a risk in making a premature announcement. The CEO said that in a situation where the penetration method was not identified, they could be exposed to further attacks.
Kim also reiterated that the market had already seen some impact from the sold assets, and they would risk panic selling if they announced it immediately.
During the press release, the executive apologized to Wemix investors, saying that the disclosure delay was his call and that he should be held responsible if anything goes wrong.
WEMIX token drops 39% amid hack announcementDespite the attempt to avoid causing market panic, the WEMIX token dropped by nearly 40% from the day of the exploit to March 4, when the company finally announced the hack.
The price went from $0.70 on Feb. 27 to a low of $0.52 on Feb. 28. The price went down to $0.42 on March 4. At the time of writing, the crypto asset trades at $0.58, which is still 17% below its pre-hack price.
WEMIX token price chart. Source: CoinGecko
Magazine: Ridiculous ‘Chinese Mint’ crypto scam, Japan dives into stablecoins: Asia Express
Why this matters
This security story adds another data point to the current market tape and is useful when read alongside nearby source coverage.
Original source
Read on CointelegraphRelated market context
How a Bitcoin Treasury company sold 600 BTC to cut debt but still ended up with $60 million due in December
Nakamoto, the parent company of Bitcoin Magazine, faces a near-term balance-sheet test at year-end, when 60 million USDT of a Bitc...
Over 1.3 million staked tokens remain stranded onchain after a major validator missed its deadline to exit Aztec
DV Labs’ planned Aug. 15 Aztec exit was still incomplete by 2 a.m. UTC on Aug. 16: seven DV Labs-listed attesters remained in the...
Nasdaq healthcare company promised Bitcoin would safeguard its future – then sold every coin to stay afloat
The OneMedNet treasury’s Bitcoin holdings reached zero at June 30, 2026, completing a steady drawdown of the healthcare-data compa...
This public company quit solar for a $5 million Bitcoin bet, now it has just $166,000 in cash
Sono Group’s transition to a Bitcoin-heavy treasury is laying bare the severe financial strain at the core of the restructured com...
Trump-linked World Liberty Financial wins OCC bank approval as $112 million DeFi position sits near liquidation
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) gave World Liberty Financial, a DeFi venture associated with President Donald...
Losses Top $115M In Coldcard Bitcoin Hack: Galaxy Research
Bitcoin Magazine Losses Top $115M In Coldcard Bitcoin Hack: Galaxy Research New data from Galaxy Research shows that $115 million...